The Diocese of Aurangabad was erected by the Decree ‘Qui Arcano’ (No.1139/78 ) dated December 1977, comprising of eight civil districts. The area comprising the civil Districts of Aurangabad, Jalna, Hingoli, Nanded and Parbhani were drawn from the Diocese of Amravati. Latur, Beed and Osmanabad from the Archdiocese of Hyderabad. This entire region constitutes the Political Unit of the Maharashtra State called the Marathwada. Rt. Rev.Dominic Abreo was consecrated on 9th April 1978 as its first Bishop. He shepherded the Diocese till his demise on 1st May 1987. After the death of Bishop Dominic Abreo, Msgr. Ignatius D’ Cunha was elected as the Administrator on 3rd May 1987. Later, the Holy See, on 22nd February 1989, appointed him as the second Bishop of Aurangabad and he was consecrated on 3rd April 1989. On his resignation on 20th January 1998, due to ill health, Rev. Fr. Paul George was elected as the Administrator of the Diocese. On 5th March 1999, Most Rev. Sylvester Monteiro, the then Auxiliary Bishop of Nagpur, was appointed to the See of Aurangabad and was installed on 25th March 1999. After serving the Diocese for 6 years, Bishop Sylvester died on 14th August 2005. Rev. Fr. Paul George was again elected as the Administrator. The Bishop of Amravati Diocese, Most Rev. Edwin Colaco was transferred to Aurangabad Diocese on 20.10.2006 and he was installed as the Bishop of Aurangabad Diocese 08.12.2006. On 13.05.2015, The Holy Father accepted the resignation of Msgr. Edwin Colaco from the pastoral care of the Diocese of Aurangabad and appointed Fr. Ambrose Rebello as the new Bishop of Aurangabad diocese.